Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

He's Here!

I wish I had the energy to edit/post hospital pics, but sorry. This one will have to do.
Jack Abram, born May 3rd at 8:06am (c-section scheduled for 8am - they work fast),
weighed 7lbs 15oz, 18 inches long.
  • Chris had been sick and I was getting scared that he wasn't going to be able to be in the OR with me. He was much better the morning of, so thankful, he was able to.
  • I had an inward panic attack while they were prepping me for surgery. I think this is why God designed women to go through labor. They can't let their minds wonder. I was thinking, "I'm about to be sliced open - the next few hours are going to be so hard, I change my mind, I want to go home, I hope the baby's ok and there's no crazy deformities, I'm about to be a mother of FOUR!!" Those thoughts kept rotating in my mind. "Mrs. Lindsey, you doing ok?" "fine" But inside, "HOLY CRAP!!!"
  • The next few hours were hard, but I got through them. Thank God for morphine.
  • I asked all the nurses if I could get the baby in the recovery room so I could start nursing right away. I've nursed all my babies, but all have been a hard start. I thought if I got them when they were fresh out of the oven, I'd have better luck. After the surgery, I was shaking uncontrollably. They said I could get morphine, but it'd make me sleepy - would make it hard to nurse. The pediatrician came in and told me that the baby had to be on oxygen for a little while but should be fine. I realized I wasn't going to get him anytime soon, so I took the morphine. I was actually glad b/c after making such a stink, I didn't want to tell the nurses that I changed my mind about getting the baby, but I didn't think I could handle it at the moment.
  • When I did get him, a little after 10am, I started the process of trying to get him to nurse. All of mine have been so hard - lots of practice necessary. Jack took to it like he had been doing it forever. Latched on within seconds. I was shocked. Didn't know babies could do that.
  • Chris got sick again and this time, I got it, too. Coughing, etc. Let me tell you, coughing feels AWESOME when you're belly has been sliced open. Luckily, it didn't start until the second day, and luckily, I'm feeling much better now. Mom brought me some amazing cough drops and I've been taking my codine. Thank God for drugs.
  • Boys are doing SO well with him. They all love him and ask to hold him. Ben, too! I thought for sure there'd be jealous issues, but mostly he just gets upset b/c he wants to hold him. "O, E" - translates - "hold, baby"

4 comments:

The Holik's said...

what a sweet story!! You are a great mother!! So glad he starting nursing quickly!!!

Hope you get over this cough stuff!! Maybe you will be ready to get out by Friday!! :)

mari said...

I'm so excited for you! Especially about the nursing, thing. My preemie nursed waaaay more easily than my full-termer - my mind was blown! Congrats to your family of SIX!

La said...

I was really sick when it was time for Joshua's c-section. My heart goes out to you because I remember how painful it was to have a bad cough when you've just had surgery. =( I hope you're feeling a lot better by now! I'm impressed that you've already gone out and done pictures! How in the world did you feel good enough for that?

Wendy said...

La: codine