Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Owl Poop

Last year, I blogged a lot about my little pre-school co-op group. I LOVED it!! But  2 of my closest, most-dependable friends moved. I had depended on them a lot to help with the group so between their moves and my little new addition to my family, I had to let my little co-op dissolve. I was disappointed about it, but knew I couldn't do it all myself. Well, the last few months, I have met some homeschooling moms who have helped start a new co-op. They are ambitious, hard-working, have genius kids and seriously make me look like the biggest under-achiever. Which is great!! Less work for me. We try to get together every other week or so. Our "theme" is wacky holidays. Believe it or not, there is a wacky holiday almost every day of the year. Easter was also learn to draw a bird day. Yeah, who knew? So one of the moms ordered owl pellets for the kids to dissect. I took care of the "learn to draw a bird" part of the lesson since I am very schooled in all things owl thanks to Jack's nursery. I found this site and using a dry erase board, took the kids step by step. I was so impressed with the kids drawings. I've been making the boys draw/journal all year and sometimes they get stumped on how to draw something, so I think these step-by-step lessons are perfect. We talked about frogs this week and looked up how to draw frogs, too.
 

Here's the boys dissecting their owl pellets. Ca was kind of grossed out by it, but Z really got into it. He was so meticulous. Ca found rodent bones and Z found a mole. So gross.


Look at the expression on their faces. Hee hee.
Next week, we are going to candle chick eggs. I'm so excited for all the things the boys will learn with this co-op and so glad I found moms who are willing to do a lot of the hard work for me. Ha ha. Don't tell them I said that.

3 comments:

Finding Joy in Him said...

Looks like you are having so much fun!

Meems said...

So much fun!!! I think our group has this specific project on the list for next year.

Camezi said...

I need those step by step drawing lessons! That is awesome.