Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Mini Jamestown

We just started studying about John Smith, Jamestown, and Pocahontas this week in our My Father's World curriculum. I was so excited when last week, I found blogs that used this same curriculum.  One of the blogs even has her posts categorized by the MFW weeks. So easy. I just click on the week I'm on and see what all she did. For her Jamestown study, they made these Jamestown replicas. (Click on the sample download in the upper right hand corner). This isn't a MFW project, but it was a good addition to our study. It turned out to be a little harder than I thought. The houses were tiny! But it was really fun. We colored all the printables with colored pencils.


Then lots of cutting, folding, and gluing. I didn't take the time to read all the instructions, so it didn't turn out exactly like it was suppose to, but we got the idea. 



I'm really having fun with MFW. History was a subject I never really liked until I got to college - partly because I think when you're young, it's hard to grasp a world before your own, but I think, too, the history curriculum I went through was lame. I hope the kids are finding this as fun as I am.

One of the books that came with MFW Adventures is becoming my absolute favorite. It tells of fictional characters set during historical events. The stories are all about children and are Christian based. Today, we started a story about a little girl who lived in Jamestown. LOVE IT!

6 comments:

Camezi said...

I'm really curious about what they teach about Jamestown to that age. I remember some gruesome stuff when we studied that. I also enjoy history a lot more now. I think it's because we are learning from "living" books.

Wendy said...

The story that they learned was pretty vague. Definitely not to gruesome for them.

Meems said...

Love this!

Finding Joy in Him said...

I have that free file. :-)

La said...

Wendy, have you checked out Story of the World books? Oh my goodness! We started these last year and LOVE them! There are four of them and they go through all of history chronologically. They read like a story book and make difficult things easy for kids to understand. John David gets them out of the school room and takes them to his room for night time reading. He can't get enough of them and is quite the history buff thanks to those four books. =)

Wendy said...

Lori, I think MFW uses them starting next year. I've heard wonderful things about them. Thanks!