Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

A Tutorial - Part One

A girl from our MOPS group makes these super cute flower headbands. I don't wear headbands, but I had to have one.  I found out online how to make one, and it's a bit different than how she makes them, but I did it. I loved it so much, I decided to make them for Christmas presents. So far, I've made more than 20. They are all the rage with my MOPS friends. We've even had 2 girls-night-outs just so we could make them. You can find tutorials online, but I decided to make my own, so I could look back at this and laugh at myself.

The Flower

You make a slight cut in  fabric about 1 - 1 1/2 inches wide, the you RIP it the rest of the way down. This make a cool ravel, plus it's lots of fun (just ask Ca). I used 1/2 yd of fabric for the strips, but I used 1 1/2 - 2 strips of fabric per flower. You could use less yards and just use more strips.
Fold over the corner of the fabric at a 45 degree angle and hot glue down.
Keep rolling the fabric at an angle, gluing every couple rolls.
You'll end up with a long strip rolled fabric.
At one end, fold the fabric into a Z.

Then, roll the fabric around the Z a couple times. Start hot gluing the roll down.
Then you twist the fabric so the bottom becomes the top. In the picture, I twisted out.
 More hot glue.
Twist again, but the other way, in. Hot glue.
Keep twisting, gluing, and rolling the fabric. Make sure the top of your flower stays the top.  I alternate the way I twist the fabric, but sometimes I lose track and it doesn't matter too much.
Starting to get a bud.  

After I finished one strip, I added a second. I just started where I left off. Apparently, the bigger the flower, the more your mother loves you.

3 comments:

The Holik's said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Sometimes I forget what I am doing!!! :)

The Holik's said...

And your's still look way better than mine!!

Meems said...

I love these! You look great btw!