Last Sunday morning, after taking a shower to get ready for church, I realized that my hairdryer was broken. We had to leave in less than 30 minutes. My hair is too short to put in a ponytail, too long NOT to fix it with a blowdryer. My new headband saved the day. Popped it in, and it looked like I did it on purpose. Today, I had to take a shower, well, because I hadn't the day before, and I was getting ready to go to the store; the only place I was going to go. Seemed silly to blowdry my hair just for HEB. So, you guessed it. My headband. I think it's becoming a necessary accessory.
The Headband
Found tutorial for the headband here, but I changed it up a little. I wanted frayed edges.
I used her template.
I cut it from 2 different fabrics so it can be reversible. I freehand cut the leaves and pinned them on off-centered. (we don't want a flower on the top of our heads).
Sewed on top the leaves, just leaving a little fraying edge to them. I used white thread on all mine, mainly because I didn't want to change it out everytime.
I like the way the white thread looks on the navy fabric. Makes it look like denim.
I put my two headband pieces WRONG sides together and sewed on top 5/8 inch only along the long sides. Leave the short ends open. Her instructions say to fold/iron in the edges so that they are finished, but I wanted my frayed. I cut off some of the extra fabric so the that it's not SO wide and SO frayed. It'd been smarter to cut down my pattern to begin with and just make the seam smaller, but I tend to do things backwards.
You connect the two short ends of the headband with a piece of elasic. This was tricky to figure out how short to cut the elastic. I had to try mine on a few times to figure out how long it should be.
Not quite done with the flower . . . .
I hot glued bobby pins (ones I got FREE at Walgreens last week - had to include some short of couponing, right?) to the back of the flower. This makes them so you can slip the on & off the headband. This way, you can wear the headband on either side. You can also pin the flower directly into your hair!
Aren't they cute???







2 comments:
um, yes! They are so cute! :)
Judi and I got ours in the mail yesterday. Love them! Thank you!
Post a Comment