Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

School!

I'm not posting about couponing this time. Promise, but I might mention a few good deals I got. . .

This last year, I've been doing preschool with Ca and Z. Both have done learned so much and amaze me everyday with all they know. This last week, I'm been researching & buying curriculum for this next year. We're almost done with our first year's work, I'll take a few weeks off, and start them on some kindergarten. I like the idea of teaching year-round so we can take breaks as we need to. My sister gave me (FREE) her Weaver curriculum which includes everything but math, handwriting, & phonics. I used the preK/K unit last year, and I really liked it - I say that - I really just used it like an outline/guide - didn't do a lot of the crafts and such. I just saw whatever the topic was, went to the library, got a lot of books about it, and we'd just read.

I hadn't bought any math curriculum this last year- just went to Sam's and got a bunch of workbooks. This year, I got a currculum. I think it'll make it so much easier. I got the teacher book used for $1, plus $3 shipping (I warned you about blogging some deals), and the kid's books at a discount, too - spent about $55 on all of that, saved: $35 or more (haha). I decided to teach the boys math on the same level. Ca's secretly learning everything I teach Z anyway, might as well save myself the extra effort and just teach them together. Z might be held back a little, but he's already so ahead, I don't think it'll matter.

I also purchased a handwriting teacher book used for about half of what it would have been new. I still need to get the student book, but I'm waiting for my $5 Amazon gift card. Have I told you about Swagbucks? It's a search engine where you earn points, and one of the things you can buy is Amazon gift cards. You can read more about it here. I've already earned one $5 Amazon card, I'm waiting for my second. Sorry, getting back off track. . .

I've got Hooked on Phonics for reading and I got some extra books to add to it. Z's almost done with the kindergarten, but needs more practice - hence the extra books. I was real excited about those, too. I ordered the 2nd set (Bob books) and they are just exactly the level I needed. They don't advance fast which was what I needed, too. Perfect for him!

Meems and I have been getting together once a week with a couple other moms to keep the kids socialized. I'll probably join the San Angelo Homeschool Association this next year. Not looking forward to it. I'm afraid of weirdos.

I think the hardest thing about teaching will be keeping B happy. He doesn't like his brothers having to work & leaving him to play alone. Right now, he's swiping my hand from the keyboard. Apparently, he doesn't like me blogging either.

2 comments:

Enid said...

I love your plan, sound very very good!!

Meems said...

I love your new background. Adorable!!

I don't think I told you that everyone I met at Salt(I did not meet everyone) seemed normal. Seriously, they are really nice. They didn't have 19th century clothes on or anything;) The classes for early elementary are things like P.E, Hands on Science, Crafts, music, Storytime, cooking class, recess...etc I haven't seen the afternoon elective classes yet, but I really think you would like the people. Their priorities in life line up with many of ours. Lots of instant friends to be made.