I've never been much of a coupon gal. I buy generic stuff most of the time and don't go crazy on expensive stuff. I never understood the point of coupons. It always seemed cheaper to get the generic than it did to buy the name brand with the coupon.
There was a mom at MOPS last Friday who spoke on how to use coupons. Unfortunately, I missed MOPS (out of town - I'll get to that another post), but I had a friend who goes who gave me the recap. She made my friend a believer. The trick? Save the coupons and use them along with the ads. ah HA! Coupons are pointless. Ads are pointless, but together - that's how you save. This woman has gotten her grocery bill for a family of FIVE down to $60/wk. That's using mostly name brand items. I'm not totally sold on the idea, but I did get a San Antonio paper Sunday (more coupons) and looked through the ads and made my list. You also have to go to several stores. I found a lot at CVS that I could get a good deal on. Chris likes to run arruns (anything to get some peace and quiet) and so I figure, he could do the CVS shopping (under 10 items). So for example, Dial body soap, you get all but 99 cents back in their little bucks and then there was a $1 online coupon to cover the rest. And supposidly, you can use their bucks at Albertsons, too. That's definitely cheaper than generic! At Target, they have a scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner starter for $12.99 and you get a $5 gift card with it. I then found a coupon online for $5 off that. I can get it for $8 and get a $5 target gift card. That's like $3! Anyway, like I said, I'm not totally sold on it, but I've commited to trying it for a month. Who knows? Maybe I'll become a coupon queen.
PS My new blog that I've got listed over there on the right is the Coupon Queen from MOPS. Check her out!
2 comments:
The first couple of years Neill and I were married I did that. I shopped at 3 different stores to save money. I did generic like you usually, but at one store I did coupons and the other store was Aldi's. We ate very affordably, on the other hand, we spent alot of time eating very affordably. This is why for the last 8 years or so, I shop at one store and buy generic. My time is worth the money.
I'd like to get those kind of deals going. We spend about $230/wk on groceries and all that Walmart stuff. But, we eat healthy foods, which are usually more expensive, too.
Post a Comment