A few weeks ago at MOPS, a lady with 5 grown boys was given a talk about disciplining your children. One of the things she did with her kids was a token system. I was inspired. My boys in general are good kids. I just had been having problems getting them to do what I wanted WHEN I asked. Eventually, I'd get frustrated and start yelling and then finally spanking. So our new system (bit different than hers, but same concept): The kids get to put a token (poker chip) in our jar for doing things quickly and the first time they are asked. They also get them for good manners at the table, being extra kind to each other, doing school quickly and correctly, staying in their rooms during ALL of quiet time (this is a nice one), helping with the trash, etc. Sometimes, they have to take one for disobedience. When they together have filled up our jar, we take them for a special treat. Last time it was ice cream, but we have plans for skating, movie theater, bowling, whatever we can think of. The idea of it being one jar was for them to encourage each other to be good, too. They haven't quite understood that concept and are quite competitive about getting to put tokens in. I made sure to get a plastic (not breakable) jar in their reach so they could do the tokens themselves. I knew if I had to do them all, it would never get done. All in all, it's been going pretty well. I've told several friends and they are trying a system, too. Maybe, we'll all get some well-behaved kids in the end.

3 comments:
Yes. Maybe. I know all Faith can think about is getting her quota of 10 marbles so that she can get a prize. She even cleaned the yard in hopes of getting an extra. Joshua on the other hand, doesn't seem to care as much. lol
This is such a good idea. My problem is always sticking with something more than a week!
Yay for you! Keeping it within reach of the kids will probably help you stick to it.
LOve,
J
Post a Comment