Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Today

This week, I have 2 photoshoots scheduled! Kind of nuts considering I'm not a photographer. (I'm not getting paid or anything, more of a favor/I really enjoy it kind of thing.) Last night, I decided that maybe I should learn a little about photography. I think one of them is actually expecting real photos. Should I tell them I really don't know what I'm doing? I guess they can always call my favorite photographer for a reshoot if they suck. ;) So I found this tutorial about moving your focus point, found a manual for my camera, and figured it out.  I knew my camera could do this, I just figured it would be hard to do shooting a moving object aka. a kid. So today, I took the kids to the park and took along my camera to try it out.
Now, let me explain. When the weather's nice, we bike to the park (I walk with stroller). So imagine me, pushing a stroller with baby, trying to control a 4 and 3 year old on bikes from riding in the middle of the street. It's a little stressful, but for some reason, I still do it. I pretty much yell at them the whole time. "Get out of the street!"
Today, we stopped to take pictures of the bluebonnets in a neighbor's yard.
Here's my moving my focus point practicing. See how my focus point is not the center of the picture? I used to just center my object, hold the shutter half way, & move the camera to off center the subject, but now I have new found buttons on my camera. Like it much better. Not nearly as complicated to do while my face is behind the camera as I thought it would be. What's complicated is watching 3 kids at the park in 3 different places while trying to photograph the youngest who is not totally walking but putting everything in his mouth.
Last night, I also found this action download site that I then later used in photoshop on this pic. See the "before"?
More practice . .
 .
More photoshop . .
Ooo and one more. . . He really did smile in some, but it was before I cleaned off his face. Silly momma!
Ben likes the sandbox.
I probably should be sweeping, mopping and vacuuming, eh?

6 comments:

Meems said...

Those are great!!! You are great at everything you put your hand to.
Garage Saling this Saturday?

Sarah P. Henry said...

wendy! those are really, really good! like REALLY good! i think your "customers" are going to be very happy. i need to learn some of these tricks. what kind of camera do you have?

Wendy said...

I have a pentax DSLR. It's a few years old so it's out-of-date. It's one of the more affortable DSLR. Dad gave me a lense that makes a big difference, too. And then there's photoshop. Photoshop can make any picture look better.

Camezi said...

you're amazing

La said...

i agree - those look great! and taking 3 (or 4!) kids to the park or biking is definitely stressful. I won't take ours to the park by myself anymore because I'm so freaked out someone is going to grab one of my babies. I just don't have enough eyes. It probably helps that yours are all boys and closer in age so maybe they play together more? That would make a big difference. Mine scatter! ;)

Wendy said...

Good luck with your shoots. Be sure and show us some.