Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Getting Back on Track

So this may appear to be a New Years Resolution post, but really it's not. I hate resolutions. I think they just set you up for failure. It's more of a not-throwing-up-christmas-chaos-over-get-back-on-track new schedule. I have a policy: if I can't make if fit into my schedule, I'm not going to do it - (the truth being if I can't fit it into the schedule I WON'T do it anyway, right?)

Up by 7am: I decided in order to get everything done in time to cook lunch, I'm going to have to get up by 7am. This will leave afternoon for quiet time for kids, showering for me, piano lessons, & co-op. Working moms, I know you're laughing at that, but this is a hard one for me. I haven't set an alarm on a daily basis in years - I'm used to waking up to crying babies. If I can do that, though, I can have a little quiet time before the sounds of crying babies. Sleep? quiet time? It's going to be a hard habit to start.

Work-out: I've also gotten a membership to a gym that's much closer to my house. I think setting aside 1 hr to get there, work-out, and get home is much more doable than having to set aside 1 1/2 hrs because of the drive.

School: We'll, of course, do school in the mornings, too. I wish that I could do it 4 days a week, but in reality, I don't think that'll work. I may have to settle for 3. It's pre-school though and they're doing kindergarten work already. I think it'll be ok. How do other homeschooling moms get 4 or 5 days in a week, I just don't know. Any tips?

CBS: I've joined the Community Bible Study. It meets 1 morning a week (making it hard to do school 4 times), but I think it'll be good. With the homework, it'll keep me accountable to those 7am alarms. We went yesterday and the kids loved it. They do lessons for the kids, too.

Flylady: I've known about this site for years and I've half-way commited to it before, but I'm really going to try to stick to it this time. It helps you keep your house clean and in order. I'm not horrible at that, but haven't perfected it either. This week we're cleaning porch, foyer, & dining room, 15 minutes/day. It's amazing when the room's already straightened how much you can get done in 15. Tuesday, I cleaned the windows, door, ceiling fans, and a little of the closet. Yesterday, I cleaned out the piano bench and magazine rack. She has a lot of other helpful tips, but organzing the weekly zones/deep cleaning is what I'm concentrating on.  The site seems a little scatter-brained and if you sign up for the email, you get about 10/day, but I love her philosophies. I'm also planning on doing 1 weekly chore a day (bathroom, floors, groceries, etc) & laundry most everyday.

Computer stays off in the mornings: My plan is the leave the computer off until the afternoon during the kid's quiet time. There'll be days that I need it for school and what not, but I'm going to try to avoid even turning it on until then.

On top of that, we have MOPS and storytime at library 2 times a month. It all seems like a lot, but it fits on the schedule so if I can just stick to it, I can get it all done.

6 comments:

Elayne said...

Oh my. I am impressed. and feel very lazy.

The Holik's said...

I feel so busy all the time, but also don't want to drop anything. And I have one less kid than you!! :)

A blog off of mine called "MckMama", she homeschools, and I read her blog alot, just because she's fun to read. But she does homeschooling with her 5 year old in the evenings when the other kids have gone to bed because he is old enough to stay up a little later. I don't know if your oldest is ready to do something like that. She has a homeschooling section on her blog.

Wendy said...

Oh My!! Homeschooling at night? I don't have it in me. Z might but I sure don't. I think their minds are sharper in the mornings, too. I could probably homeschool during baby's nap, but I don't even have that in me. Pregnancy naps call my name. I'll check out her blog though.

Meems said...

I think the only way to do it 4-5 days a week is if it is priority over everything else.

The good news?...you don't have to do that yet:)

Camezi said...

#1. I started my kids on an alarm last week and it was really good.
#2. I dream about when I could fit in a work out and shower.
#3. CBS is a huge blessing. I love their homeschool program.
#4. When it comes to school, you just have to figure out what works for you. We do 3 days a week and school year around. But, the other 2 days, we are doing co-op and Bible study, so they are learning and socializing.
#5. I love Flylady.
#6. Computer off in the a.m. sounds like a good idea.

Wendy said...

I've been thinking I need to wake the boys up so we can get everything done in the mornings, but at this age, is that just silly? I wouldn't have to get them up until 7:30am. Other kids in pre-k have to be woken up.