Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Needed a Project

Since we are post-Christmas, I have found myself out of projects. I've painted almost every room in the house, no babies to prepare for, no pictures to edit - I've decided that it's time to clean out/organize. Remember that Friends episode where Monica has a hidden closet that she lets no one see? That's all my closets. I'd be embarrassed to let anyone go through any of them. So I decided no more cardboard boxes, only clear plastic boxes, & everything gets a label. I think the perfectionist in me finds it hard to label things because it makes it so final when in reality, it's just a label - I can take it off. I've also found it hard to justify spending money on organizing, but I've decided it's worth it.

This is where I started. This is our linen/gift bags/fabric/decorations-I'm-not-currently-using closet.
the before - Lovely, isn't it?
It's actually very deep and if everything doesn't fit exactly in there, the doors won't close. This is in the hall by the boys' bathroom. It's one of the 2 rooms that I have not painted. I know when I do, I'll have to strip the paint on the cabinet doors, so I've been avoiding it. I took that picture after I straightened all the linens/blankets, but they were in a mess before, too.

This is sad, but I had to google ideas on how to organize gift bags. I knew how I wanted to separate the bags, but then what? I saw this idea and used it - putting rubber bands around each catergory of gift bags. I did extra small, small, medium, baby - separating the Christmas ones all on their own.
I then put them in tubs and LABELED them. I read on my new favorite blog that when things are pretty, you'll keep it organized better (oohh, a new post I need to read). So I made my labels pretty. Nothing TOO exciting, but a little scrapbooking paper will help just about anything.
I put my bows and tissue paper in plastic bags and put them on top. Not a tub, but better than a walmart bag. Another tub wouldn't fit.

the After
I got all my fabric out of the big floppy cardboard box and put it into a plastic clear box. I had some extra sewing stuff that I put in a smaller plastic tub on top. Ok, you caught me. I didn't label it, but I thought it being a clear tub, it was obvious what was in there. Maybe I should label it anyway - just to make it pretty. 

The bottom cabinet is where all my decorating stuff is and scrapbooks. I haven't gone through it yet. I'm hoping to do a closet or two a month and this time next year, I'll have it all organized. Maybe I'll paint the hall then.

Next project: My front door. I really HATE the color of our brick. I'm hoping that if I paint the trim, shutters, and front door, I won't hate it as much. But for the life of me, I can NOT figure out what color to paint the front door!! Any suggestions? I do hope that one day, we'll paint the brick, but Chris has way too long of a to-do list to even think about that right now.

8 comments:

Elayne said...

goggle color wheel and choose a color opposite the color of your brick. That's what HGTV says.

I want a label maker. They have some really nice ones now. NICK (Berkus) labels everything. Including his underwear drawer. I don't really know anything about these 2 subjects, but I watch way too much TV.

Enid said...

Do you see your Black Iron chair on front of the brick, I think that will very lovely to pop everything against the brick! And take away from the color of the brick!

Enid

The Holik's said...

I hate my front door too.

Finding Joy in Him said...

Love your closest re-do. Was Enid saying to paint your door black? That's what I was thinking.. I have a friend that painted hers turquoise...the color on the opposite side of the color wheel from your brick and my favorite color. You could paint the door black and the panels turquoise! You should play with it in a photo editing program and see what you like.

Finding Joy in Him said...

Eggplant might look really nice on your door... Why do I have so many ideas for your door and none for my house?

Wendy said...

I didn't think to do the panels a different color - might have to think about that. I did look up the opposite - "sky blue" - I think not. I've been leaning towards a dark gray - charcoal. Need to consult an expert first.

Meems said...

You should drive around and get ideas from neighbors on the trim. Ha, I always think of that friends episode for my closets as well. The rest of my house is so clutter free and then.....

Mary said...

Hey! Thanks for "showing yourself"! I'm gonna add you to my reader and then I will feel like I know you better than I do:)
And by the way...I don't think I've ever seen all your boys until now! You have a beautiful family!

And I have no tips for your front door:)