Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Operation De-Swaddle

Ok, so I know this sounds nuts, but I still swaddle my 4 mth old. Somewhere along the way, I learned this amazing swaddle that is nearly impossible to break out of. It works wonders. I'd swaddle him, put him in his crib, and he'd be asleep in 5 minutes. The problem is that he's getting too strong for it, and I'm the only one that can do it. And since I'm nursing, I'm the only one that can feed him. This ties me down to home TOO much. Now he can roll over, so it's time to toss the swaddle blankets. I tried it for the first time tonight: I put him down awake, unswaddled, and on his tummy. He didn't do too bad. Only cried for 20 minutes. It's more than his normal 5, but it wasn't an hour (that's how long it took Z the first time). So I'm nervous about how all this is going to go - sleeping, falling asleep, but it needs to be done. Transitions are so hard . . . on ME. But so far, so good.

3 comments:

Meems said...

Hey, what works, works. Their is nothing wrong with a happy, sleeping, swaddled baby. I hate having to move to the, put them to sleep while they are still awake phase.

Although, J. is pretty content. I don't think he will give us as many sleepless nights as F. did.

It sounds like yours is transitioning nicely.

team D said...

I was a swaddler too but I also loved to hold my children tell they were asleep this made it hard later but I still enjoy reading them to sleep know

I'm just me said...

You're a better woman than me. J literally had to hold me down to keep me from picking the baby up at 10 months old! She still nursed to sleep. And to think that was number three, I should have known better!